Now that the blog party is over (WELCOME to those of you who are new to following my little blog!) I thought a little light-hearted post was in order. It's been a while since I've posted about our little chick-y babies.
This past weekend work began on the coop and run. The Big Daddy did a great job reorganizing and cleaning out the side of the barn that the coop will be in. He and his dad got a nice start on the run as well. I think they need to make one adjustment and then it will be ready for the hardware cloth to be attached. Here are the pictures so far:

Not the best picture with the sun setting behind the barn.

Getting ready to cement the posts into the ground.

A bit of the framing done.

Just a cute picture of Matthew and Grandpa. :)

The inside of the barn before. LOTS of stuff to be moved over!!

But he got it done! :) In this picture you can see where a door had once been framed in (in the past this part of the barn housed goats). In that spot they will be framing in a door for us to access the coop.

Shelves already in place, perfect for nesting boxes!! To the right of the picture, the area above (where the studs are) will be sealed with chicken wire. Below (where the plywood is) will be their roosting spot.
At the left of this picture (where the white 2x4 is) will have a window and chicken door leading to the run.
I think we will have some very happy girls! :) And we have plenty of room to add to our flock!
Speaking of our flock, how about some updated pictures!?!

The Twins.
Actually, they are Sweetie Pie and Rosie but we can't tell them apart anymore. We think they might be Rhode Island Reds but they might New Hampshire Reds.

Patty
Who was named before we knew his gender. Sorry Patty. He's very curious and is always the one to get the bug first! We are unsure of the breed.

Duckie
A sweet bird!! She is a Frizzled Cochin. Google it. Hilarious and beautiful birds.

Charlie
Again, named before we knew her gender and also named by Matthew. She is also very sweet! We think she is a Golden Sebright.

That big red bird is...well...Big Red. ;)
The biggest of all the chicks. And it's a he...we think. He is most likely a New Hampshire Red.

Alfalfa
Knows he's a pretty bird. ;) I've been told he is a Japanese Bantam or a Splash Japanese Bantam.

Nugget
The quietest and smallest of them all. She is (again, so I'm told) either a Lavender Old English or Lavender Dutch bantam.
And one more because it was pretty funny! I guess they needed some shade and Em was the perfect provider of that shade. ;)

3 comments:
Yay! I love the pics of your family and their fine feathered friends. :)
Wow! You have them outside and not in a cage. Did you cut their wings or something. I have not been brave enough to let them out of their box (and later) the shed. I am afraid I will lose them!
Kim ~ No, we haven't clipped their wings. You've seen the pic on my FB of them roosting on my arms/head, right? They can go from floor to my outstretched arm and that's about as high as they'll go if they *really* try.
They do fly horizontally a bit. When we've had them in the yard they have gone maybe a few yards about 6" from the ground. lol They don't go far because they want to stay together. So one will fly over a bit and it will come running back over or a couple others will run over to it.
Post a Comment