When I sat down to write this post a couple of hours ago I wasn't sure how it would unfold. Many of the natural living, grace-based parenting topics have been blogged about. Some ad nauseam. No offense to anyone who has blogged about a topic that 500 other bloggers have already done. We all have different perspective. I'm just not that creative to come up with my own angle on the most common topics.
Then it hit me. I have my blog post. There may be 500 other bloggers who have explored this aspect of grace-based parenting but I haven't read those blogs so I'm going for it.
Get ready because I'm going to challenge your parenting style and rock your world. ;)
When you read about parenting many people bring up the Biblical references to "the rod" (which is another topic all on it's own that you can read about HERE) and use that in defense of spanking (aka physical punishment). You read about numerous methods you can implement. You read about how not to allow your child(ren) (or baby as some books teach) to control you or the family. We search for methods and tips on how to not screw up our kids.
Before you delve deeper into striving to be the "perfect" parent and evaluate your parenting, stop and consider this:
How do you treat your marriage?
Disclaimer: If you are parenting solo, don't hit the "back" button or close the window. I want you to consider what I say and in the end, ponder your relationship with Christ.
Ephesians 5 : 22 - 30 (NIV)
Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is head of the church, His body, of which He is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ love the church and gave Himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church for we are members of His body."
Now read it in The Message version:
"Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to His church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as He exercises such leadership, wives should likewise submit to their husbands.
Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church, a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything He does and says is designed to bring out the best in her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They're really doing themselves a favor since they're already "one" in marriage.
No one abuses his own body, does he? No, he feeds and pampers it. That's how Christ treats us, the church, since we are part of His body."
How are we instructed to treat our spouse? Controlling them? Training them to fit into our schedule and life? I think most of us are aware of what happens when physical harm to one or the other happens in a relationship.
He is showing us here how we are to treat one another in order to have a healthy marriage that reflects His relationship with the church (fyi: That's us). There is respect. There is love. There is kindness. There is grace. There is patience. A husband and wife living this will most likely be living in peace. I don't mean they will never have a disagreement or need to deal with an issue in their marriage. What I mean is they will handle daily life and those challenging times by not screaming at or berating each other to get a point across or to get the other to submit or to correct. There is grace and they will (whether it is quick or after some time) solve the situation with respect and love.
Why then, should our children be parented contrary to that?
If the Scriptures speak of a marriage relationship full of respect and love, why do we read and implement teachings of parenting that exclude respect, love, grace, understanding,....? Are those things only reserved for a husband and wife's relationship and when it comes to parenting we can pull out all the stops and physically punish our child(ren) and treat them as a wild animal that needs training? If your wife is disrespectful or chooses to go against what you asked, you wouldn't dream (I hope!) of taking an object (because you know, it's not good to use your hand) and physically punishing her for it. But if your child does the same, parents don't think twice about getting an object and physically punishing him/her for it. Somehow society has come to accept physical punishment as being fine for babies and children but when an adult does it, there are (we hope) dire consequences.
Are we parenting our children in a way that will bring out the best in them? If we respond to misbehavior with anger and chastisement, are we helping them grow? In the Scriptures above we are called, as wives, to respect our husbands. It's impossible to offer that respect if you talk down to him. And that certainly will not inspire him to be his best. If we support him through mistakes (via prayer and verbally) and encourage him, he will be inspired to be his best! Our children need that same response as well.
Are we parenting with understanding? When your husband (or wife) is acting contrary to his usual self and his feelings are being vented to the family as impatience, grumpiness, being short with you or the children, do you snap back to "straighten up!" and comment on how dumb he's acting? Or do you stop and ask yourself (and then in a gentle way ask him), "I wonder what his day at work was like?" Or stop and consider what and who he had to deal with that day? Most times we snap at people because they are present and available for us to take our frustration out on. Stop and think about all the things little ones are dealing with. They tire easily, their bodies are growing, they are learning to communicate, and they don't always fully understand what we are asking of them. As a result their behavior many times is expressed with disobedience, grumpiness, crying, etc. Instead of snapping at them out of frustration and anger and chastising them, before you respond, stop and consider what their little body might be going through or what they have had to deal with that day. For some creative ways to do this, I highly recommend reading through Dulce de Leche for some great ideas!
I'm sure there are some out there who will read this and say, "Nice argument but our marriage is like you describe. We sleep train our babies, we train them from the beginning (or close to it) so they don't learn they are in charge of the family, we spank them, we are teaching them to respect others, we do XYZ and our kids are turning out GREAT!!"
To those of you who would say that, I ask you this.
If it's not acceptable to do to another adult, explain to me how it is acceptable to do to a child?
In treating your children contrary to how you treat your spouse, are you reflecting a healthy relationship with Christ and His church?
When we sin and disobey He doesn't physically harm us. He loves us, His church. He patiently gives us instruction and desires for us to be our best. That is exactly what He instructs the marriage relationship to reflect. Does He only desire for our marriages to reflect these things? Is there anywhere in Scripture that states we are to act one way in marriage but when it comes to parenting, the rules change? If you are going to comment and make an argument by bringing up the "rod" Scriptures, stop and go back up to do some research on what the "rod" the Bible speaks of really is.
Before someone comments that I am taking these Scriptures out of context, stop and consider your argument and if you really want to make that comment. Why would He speak about treating our spouse one way then contradict Himself in relation to treating other people or our own child(ren) in a similar way? Doing so would go against who He is. The marriage relationship reflects His relationship with His church....that's us, remember? His church also includes our children. So....are you seeing the point here yet?....if the marriage relationship of respect, love, grace, understanding, patience, kindness, etc. & etc. is a reflection of His relationship with us, our relationship with our children be the same. If we don't, how will they grow to understand His respect, love, grace, understanding, patience,kindness, etc & etc. with them? If we respond with anger, disgust, physical punishment, impatience, etc & etc. it is pretty likely that they will base future relationships...including their relationship with Christ...on those things.
I know some of you who read this will have no desire to change how you parent and will close this window and go on with life as you know it. If that's you, thank you for reading and respecting what I have shared.
If anything above made you go, "Hmmm...I've never thought of it that way." then I challenge you to learn more about grace-based parenting. It's a process. I am certainly not reflecting these things 24/7...this post is for me just as much as it is for you. It's not a secret...I am not great at that patience thing. ;) I have a lot to work on too. But I believe the things I wrote above and want to reflect them in my life. I pray that, if anything I said causes you to pause and consider change, you will realize that "grace is for Moms" (and Dads and I have that in quotes because it is not an original statement, it is one I have read elsewhere) too. Tomorrow is a new day and you have the chance to reflect Christ's relationship with His church to your child(ren).
11 comments:
So great to hear a Christian mama speaking out on these things! I love your application of scripture there - that is definitely a new angle I hadn't thought of before and a great challenge to really think through our interactions with children.
"When we sin and disobey He doesn't physically harm us. He loves us, His church. He patiently gives us instruction and desires for us to be our best." - SO true.
I'm beginning to wonder more and more how our understanding of God became so out of whack when this is who He really is...
Thanks for the wonderful post - I'm glad I found your blog! :)
Amazing post, Heather! I really enjoyed that so much!
Heather - thank you for providing a thought-provoking post with a Christian parenting alternative that we do not hear enough about (yet).
I think your parallel to marriage helps make a strong illustration and argument.
Funny how we think we need to train our children. Makes me wonder why some people choose the path of parenting.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for such a a gentle and clear blog !!!
Being a Brit - and belonging to the Church of England - I can honestly say that our vicars/ministers never once told us to hit our children. Far from it - we were to follow Christ and that meant to be gentle at all times!!
I personally have found it so hard to understand how people use the OT [and the wrong translations too !!] to uphold hitting children - when Christ came for us .. and was the New Convenant!
And .. even putting that all aside for a moment. As you said, how is it right that we should hit a child - when adults, and animals and even criminals are not allowed to be hit?
I am almost 57 and a grandmother. My relationship with my parents was killed stone dead when they spanked me for the first time. I lost my trust, respect and love for them. I don't trust or respect anyone who hits me !! All I learned was fear, pain, anger, hate and resentment - none of which I believe my parents actually wanted me to learn! I never hit my children - and it wasn't easy - but then parenting isn't. [It isn't being a child either !! ] They are now great kind adults, and my daughter has two children of her own who are a delight - and unspanked!
Your post is amazing. Your perspective on spanking is truly great. I especially agree with your comments on respecting children and the fact that we are not allowed to hit other adults when they "misbehave" so why should we be allowed to hit children. Discipline means "to teach" and spanking as a FORM of discipline is doing just that...teaching how to handle times of frustrating (with hitting).
My brothers and I grew up in a non-spanking home. My brother has a degree from Princeton and works for one of the top consulting firms in the world. I have a Master's degree and now have a son who I never plan to spank. My youngest brother takes honors classes 3 grades ahead of him. None of us have ever done drugs, we have never been arrested, we never got in trouble at school, and we STILL respect our parents.
I believe in a nurturing home that has clear boundaries, structure and rules. Yes, there needs to be discipline. No, there does not need to be spanking. I think it goes to the old saying "treat others the way you want to be treated." When you mess up at work, do you want your boss to hit you? It is possible to raise productive, well adjusted, respectable adults without spanking.
So wonderful to hear your Christian perspective! I have had many of the same thoughts in seeking out how to discipline our little one, but you wrote it so well!
I love this, and as a Christian Mom, I couldnt agree more! We need to live as Christians with a BIG C not a LITTLE c. (as my mom always says). Christ would never treat those He loved with such disrespect, so why should we? Well said!
I believe that every child is different and as parents we need to parent in a way that is effective to that child. I was spanked as a child, for good reason, and I never doubted my parents love for me. There is an appropriate way to spank and an inappropriate. Even spanking can be done in love.
I do believe that God punishes us physically at times. Ask anyone whose wrong decisions has left them with diseases. He is loving all the time but in His love He allows consequences.
The issue is not spanking. As Christians we are all on the same team. If you are disciplining as God has called you to for each child them you will know what to do. The important thing is that you love your child enough to discipline. Satan loves to take topics like this to divide us.
Heather, this is such a beautiful post. I’m not sure how I’ve missed it before now but I really needed to read it. I will be having my dh read it with me later tonight. <3
In response to Courtney & Stephen:
“I believe that every child is different and as parents we need to parent in a way that is effective to that child.” Absolutely! But there’s no reason that needs to include spanking.
“I do believe that God punishes us physically at times.” “He is loving all the time but in His love He allows consequences.”
I see these two statements as contradictory. Consequences do not equal punishments. Consequences are the natural & logical responses to our actions, sometimes good sometimes bad. Punishments are, often illogical, responses that we choose that have a shaming effect. EX. Spanking a child for hitting another child. “I’m going to hit you because we don’t hit.” Doesn’t make much sense to me.
“As Christians we are all on the same team.”
Yes. We should be, but sadly, that’s not always the case.
“If you are disciplining as God has called you to for each child then you will know what to do.”
I totally agree. We need to listen to each of our children and discipline in a way that helps them be their best. However, discipline does not equal punishment. I discipline my children daily by *teaching* them.
It was suggested that I put this here so I will.
If you have come directly to this blog post and have read the comments, I have posted a rebuttal to a comment left here. I felt it deserved it's own post, not something that would get hidden and lost in the comments.
http://littlemamamidwife.blogspot.com/2011/07/flashback-saturday.html
Post a Comment