Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Goodbye Blog Party.....Hello Lent

Thank you to everyone who stopped by during the Blog Party!! I see I have a couple new followers! There were a few blogs that I have started following. As promised, a giveaway for one lovely reader who left a comment on the Blog Party post. The winner is....by random selection of pulling a name out of a white plastic storage bin by my five year old son.....


Maria


I think most know that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Which of course is the time leading up to, in preparation for Holy Week (aka Easter). For those of us who follow Western Christianity this time begins on Ash Wednesday. I won't get into a long explanation about Lent because if you can read my blog, you have access to Google.

I'd never really thought or knew about Lent until about three years ago. The church we were attending at the time began teaching about it and observing. It was quite eye-opening. My husband and I participated and gave up processed sugar. It really sucked. lol But we did it (and I lost about 15 pounds). It was also a holy experience. Our pastor shared that when your body longs for the thing you gave up, in response to that say, "No. I want God more. I want Him more in my life than I want _____."

We didn't participate the last couple of years. For one, we aren't attending that church any longer and where we were going it wasn't practiced. This year I've been compelled to observe again. I am going to do the sugar thing again (which means no refined sugars, natural sugars are ok and my one exception is my daughter's birthday in three and a half weeks). Since I was kind of already doing that I started praying about if there was anything else He would have me do. There is. I'm not happy about it. But I'm going to do it. I'm keeping it to myself because...

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:16-18).

Yes, I realize all of the internet can now read that I will be fasting from something so it's technically not secret. And me not having ice cream or Coke may cause me to look pretty darn somber. I'm going to try my best to put on a happy face. LOL! But what I'm doing is between He and I.

I was driving to see a client this morning, thinking and praying about how tomorrow starts this whole thing. I flipped on the radio and heard this:



1 comment:

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said...

Hooray! Matthew knows how to pick the right name! ;-) I was just thinking the other day how I really use a set of coasters (how on earth have I lived this long and NOT acquired a set of coasters?? lol)

I just realized like yesterday that Lent is upon us, and I've been trying to figure out what to give up. I hope your Lenten experiences become a good growing time for you!