Sunday, January 10, 2010

After a crazy week of a tummy bug floating around our house, I think it's finally passing. In the midst of all that I have been trying to get ready for our school starting back up and childbirth class tomorrow night.

Everything is all set for the childbirth class. I just need to put together the handouts tonight and make sure those are all in order. This time around I have moved some things around and am including something I am super excited about!!! One of the nights of class will be a labor rehearsal with the Labor Simulator. The couples will be able to apply what has been taught during the first three weeks of class. I've heard great things about it and I hope the students enjoy it and find it useful!

I think we're ready for school in the morning as well. The only thing I am missing is Emily's Reading books. I had a real struggle in trying to decide what do to with that subject. She was really bored with CLE's Reading. I looked into Lightning Literature but there were so many mixed reviews! A lot of what I read was that it was too "lite", just a gentle introduction to literary terms and analysis. Then everything I read about CLE was how excellent it was and that there isn't much else out there that covers what it does. I also considered Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. It looks amazing!!! But I just don't think Em would really get into it quite yet. After much deliberation I came to the conclusion that I possibly had her in a level too easy, thus the boredom from not being challenged enough. So I decided to move her up to CLE Reading 6. She could probably do level 7 but the scope and sequence had some things in level 6 that she hasn't learned yet. We'll see how it goes. So all that to say, I don't have those books yet but they should be here tomorrow afternoon.

We are doing a little unit on the human body. The littles will be doing My Body and the older two will do The Body Book. I'm also hoping to throw in a little bit on nutrition while we're at it.

Matthew finished his Get Set for School "handwriting" (in " because it's more of a coloring book really) all on his own. Now he's ready for the next one, Letters and Numbers for Me. :)

No comments: