Thursday, April 26, 2007

Why So Many Women Have C-Sections

(Moving this over from my doula/midwife blog)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17796664/

Interesting read. I was quite a bit aggravated with some of the reasons given for medical reasons.

*Older women can't push out a baby vaginally?!

*I've heard TOO many stories about "big" babies being born vaginally to buy the fact that an overweight woman is less capable of birthing vaginally.

*I will give them the multiple gestation one as being a fairly valid reason.

*Vaginal breech is another silly one. With proper training there would be less sections b/c of that.

*But WHY are the forceps and/or vacuum needed in the first place? The need for that could probably be eliminated by not using other interventions!

*VBAC - don't even get me started. I just love how they failed to include the % of uterine rupture and made it sound like it's a huge risk. And it's not so much patient concern. So many women want a VBAC and either aren't told the truth that they CAN have one or they can't find a care provider!!

*I will give them the induction one too. Lovely 'ol cascade of intervention at work there (which goes back up to the forceps/vacuum issue).

*And I agree that EFM does contribute to the rate. I am happy to see that they admitted there has been NO change in perinatal mortality rates from EFM. The sentence there at the end is silly.

*The benefit of a section helping with pelvic floor stuff is also silly. Kegels are wonderful things. ;)

In regards to the recommendation for women to be the ones to make the decision after consulatation with her doctor....if it were only that easy. I've heard so many times about doctor's not being honest and giving balanced information to their patients. And many times women don't know the questions to ask.

No comments: