It is important that I preface this blog entry with the following:
I AM NOT PREGNANT.
Now let's proceed.....
The babies born to the mothers I care for get one of these hats. I provide these hats in place of the thin cotton hats you usually see on newborns. I no longer have the cotton hats included in the birth kit. This is something I started several months ago.
Earlier this week my copy of Midwifery Today came in the mail (YAY!!!!!). In it there is an excellent article regarding use of a hat immediately after the birth. The author reminds the readers of the intense bonding that is happening with the new family in those moments, especially the mother and baby. Someone interrupting this moment by covering up the baby's head is being intrusive. The article also talks about how after the hat is on, many women will move the cap so she can smell and see her baby. There is much more to the article that discusses temperature regulation and when the hats are necessary.
All that to say, I have these hats in my birth bag. In fact, they are in my small bag that I keep the supplies I need at and immediately after the birth. But I don't use them immediately after (again...unless indicated). It stays in my bag until after the family has had their moment and they are ready for baby to be dressed. While they serve to keep the baby warm, I also have slightly selfish reasons for using them. The babies have a keepsake, a lot nicer than those boring cotton hats, made by their midwife. I just love seeing "my" babies in something I have made.
No comments:
Post a Comment