First off, thanks Elizabeth for the suggestions!!! I do have plans for bulbs (didn't get them planted in time for this year). We have a small tree in the front yard that has a little area around it perfect for flowers and I would love to do some daffodils and tulips there. I've also thought about doing some hyacinth in the front garden somewhere. Maybe up around the porch, near the Mums?
I also forgot to mention I have plans for a little family garden. I want to have an area with our birth month flowers. My thought was to do it near the area where I"ll someday have a water feature.
Now....on to today's business. :) I've always purchased seed packets from the large chain stores in town. Today, for the first time, I ordered from seed companies online! These seeds had better grow!!!
My handsome prince is busy building me some raised garden beds. See how much fun the kids had at Lowe's when we went to buy the lumber??


Ok...so the younger two had fun. The older two were pretty bored.
He talked to our neighbor and found out that we have about six inches of good soil and then it's clay. We are doing similar to what the Pioneer Woman showed in THIS POST. We will have four. And today I bought the seeds to go into those beds. I will also have some in pots and in the front garden area.
Soooo...for the inquiring minds who want to know, here is what we will be growing this year. Some of the choices are just for fun, to see how they grow and it would be nice if they were successful (LOL!!!).
Green beans (three kinds...one of them produces HOT PINK beans..how cool is that???)
Carrots (two kinds)
Corn (popcorn and corn-on-the-cob)
Lettuce (I bought a mix)
Peas (two kinds)
Peppers (three kinds of mini bell)
Corn (popcorn and corn-on-the-cob)
Lettuce (I bought a mix)
Peas (two kinds)
Peppers (three kinds of mini bell)
Spinach
Tomato (four kinds; one cherry, one roma, and two regular size)
Celery
Rainbow Swiss Chard
Quinoa
Alfalfa
Comfrey
Cilantro (maybe some in a container too)
Cilantro (maybe some in a container too)
Dill
Shepherd's Purse
Valerian
Valerian
For the front garden (raised area and other places, including our family garden) and/or containers:
Echinacea
Echinacea
Evening Primrose
Calendula
Gardenia
Calendula
Gardenia
Lavender
Poppy
Poppy
Yarrow
Lemon Balm
Catnip
Chamomile
Eucalyptus
Stinging Nettle
Zinnia mix (for my 10yo who LOVES zinnias)
Sunflowers (four kinds...these will be planted around our barn)
So there it is. This year's list. I ordered from these companies:
Richters Herb and Vegetable
Seed Savers Exchange
Territorial (not a favorite, their prices are TOO high...but they had the rainbow chard, quinoa, and zinnia mix I wanted)
Seed Savers Exchange
Territorial (not a favorite, their prices are TOO high...but they had the rainbow chard, quinoa, and zinnia mix I wanted)
Stay tuned to see how my little garden grows!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment