Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent Envelopes



Last year I found this idea online and did it with the kids.  I thought about doing it this year but wasn't sure if the kids wanted to again so I didn't put much thought into it.  Until a couple of them said, "Mama, are we going to do those envelope things again this year?!?!?"  

So the planning began.

The idea here is this...each handmade envelope has an activity written in it.  Each morning the kids (the first day we draw names and that is the order we go all month) open an envelope to find out what we will be doing.  Some things are a bit more exciting than others.  For example, today's activity is to choose an ornament to make for our homeschool group kid's Christmas party.  But tomorrow...ooohhh..it's a good one!!!  

Some of the activities we have planned are:
- Make ornaments at The Purple Glaze
- Attend our city's Christmas parade
- Read Christmas books
- Make cookies
- A family Wii tournament
- A slumber party in the living room, by the Christmas tree
- Watch a Christmas movie
- Visit the Philbrook's Festival of Trees exhibit
- Drive around looking at Christmas lights

There are so many different ways you can make your envelopes.  I just use 12x12 scrapbook paper.  But I LOVE this idea for fabric envelopes!!  Just google "advent envelopes" and you will find several websites with ideas, including activity ideas.  

2 comments:

Kahri said...

Great ideas and they look so cute! I made my envelopes but have been a failure with the rest of it.

Adamant Academy said...

WOW I love your blog!!! I am now following. You put the link in a welltrainedmind post. No wonder I have never seen it it is not on your signature. I love your advent envelopes they are sweet. We are using mini stockings Have a great week