Friday, November 12, 2010

My Crazy Life

I am finally sitting down after being away from home 48 hours plus (not consecutive....thankfully!!).  Yesterday morning I got called to be with a laboring monitrice client.  I left to go around 10:15am and got home from her birth about twelve hours later.  Then today I had a full day of client appointments with a stop at Target on the way home.

My hard working husband will be gone tomorrow and Sunday!  We are VERY thankful for the extra work tomorrow but will miss having him home.  

It was such a wonderful birth!!  This was the second birth I have done with this client.  I love being with repeat clients.  Not only because I get to share in the arrival of another member of their family but I know a little about how she labors.  With this client's last birth she got to a point where I couldn't press on her hips hard enough but her husband could.  I anticipated that this time and after about seven hours of being with her we got to that point.   

With this birth I witnessed something quite interesting.  As the baby was crowning, of course her body was pushing!!!  The doctor needed her to wait to push until he go gowned up and she was having a hard time not pushing.  The nurse tried getting her attention, I tried, the doctor was talking to her...none of us could get her full attention.  Then her husband grabbed her hand and got in her face.  As he gently started telling her what they needed her to and not do (and I say that assuming that's what he was saying because he was so gentle and quiet with her that even though I was standing next to him, I couldn't hear him) she focused completely  into him. And completely stopped pushing!!!  That baby's head that was ever so slowing emerging completely stopped!  Amazing!!  

No comments: