Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A couple of years ago a hole developed in the overhang in the back of our house. It became the perfect place for birds to nest. Now that we're selling our house, that hole needs to be repaired.

And once again this spring, there are baby birds up there.

I've been dreading that repair because I didn't know what to do with them. Yesterday the repair was started before I could get a wildlife rescue person out. Before the repair was finished I wanted to get them out of there and try to save them. I really thought it was too late yesterday but early this morning, she was back to feeding those noisy little babies!!!

This morning I bought a sweet little birdhouse that has a removable back. Kev helped pull some of the plywood away (the part that needed to be replaced anyway) thinking that was the part they were under. But no, they were about a foot further. He got that opened up and there they were, four baby birds all huddled together in the corner.

We finally got them all scooped up and settled in the birdhouse. Kev secured it to the house near where they were nesting. We are praying that the Mama bird will hear them and figure out where they are. If not, we'll feed them until they are ready to fly.

There is one more still up in the overhang. It has hopped its way over the 2x4 into the next section, further away from the hole. And we can't reach it. :( Hopefully it will hop back over and we can get to it.

Here they are, all snuggled in their new home....



Right as I hit "publish", I heard them chirping. I looked out the window behind me and Mama bird was sitting on the side of the birdhouse!!!! She found them!!!!

2 comments:

NeeCee said...

I glad you were able to safely remove them and momma bird found her babies. Can you image what she was thinking when she came back and found her babies moved? LOL

Kahri said...

This is so funny! We had barn swallows that made a mud nest above our door every year. We called them our "attack birds" because they would dive bomb people trying to get to our front door. However, we liked them, so we let them stay. We loved it when the babies were born. Last year, I waited until the babies were out and then I washed their nest away.

When we went back yesterday, there is a nest back in the original place AND a new nest beginning on top of our porch light. Our birds dive bombed us and we were SOOO happy to see them! :-) Now we don't have to worry about them anymore. We will be there to enjoy them again!