We had a very nice Easter! I hope each of you did as well!
First I must tell the the story of how God saved our house on Sunday morning. After I got out of the shower I went in to get the kids started getting ready, turned on the oven to warm up the potatoes that were in there, and went to finish getting myself ready. We were all dressed, took pictures, looked through Easter baskets, and left for church in a hurry because I had to be in the choir loft five minutes before the service started. Anyone see the problem yet???
So the service started. They took offering. Then one of the pastors came up to pray. While he was praying I heard this little voice say, "Your oven is on."
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankfully he was still praying so I quietly snuck out of the choir loft. I had to find Kev in the service to get the keys (it was raining and he parked the car for me so the kids could get out and I could get into the sanctuary). Then I had to go back in to him and find out where he parked. I RACED home!! The potatoes weren't ruined...a bit dry...but still quite edible. And my house wasn't in flames!
We had a nice afternoon with Kev's parents and some lovely friends of ours. SO much food and super yummy desserts! Better weather would have made it an even better day!
I ordered the Poetry Primer last week. Looking forward to it getting here and getting started! I also discovered Christian Light Education. LOVE it!!!! Originally I started looking at it for their Language Arts. I've probably shared before about how frustrated I am with Em's LA education. We absolutely hate ABeka and she doesn't want to go back to Rod & Staff. CLE's LA looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for! I love how the Mennonite curriculums are simple, straight-forward, and very thorough. Then I started looking at their Math. The more I looked, the more I started thinking about switching to that as well. THEN I found their Reading curriculum and realized we haven't done any of that kind of teaching (*ducking*...how in the world could a person who has a degree in Education miss that??????) ! I think because the love to read SO much, I haven't thought to actually teach Reading. I went ahead and ordered the placement tests for Math and LA.
We made a trip over to Bibliomania on Friday afternoon to look around. Originally I was planning a trip to look at what other LA programs were out there. Then realized they might have some CLE. And oh my goodness did she ever!!! I grabbed an arm-full of materials and went to "Mom's Thinking Spot" to look through it all. I also had the girls each look over it with me. I always ask for their opinion when I'm looking at new curriculum since they are the ones who have to actually do the work. They each seemed to like it as well. They were VERY pleased to see that, unlike Rod & Staff, there are only two sentences to diagram in the lessons instead of 4+!! I was able to buy one answer key for Level 400 LA, the Level 300 Reading set (minus a few LightUnits), and the LA 400 Teacher's Guidebook (which I overpaid a little bit there but I figure I would have paid about that much in shipping from the CLE website *shrug*). She also had several of the Math 500 LightUnits but I need the girls to do the placement tests before I know if either of them will be in that unit.
So that's that. Not much going on birth-wise. Waiting on a client who is due next week. Then we'll have a break until July. Our client who was due at the end of May very unexpectedly delivered her baby this morning. Baby is doing very well for being born seven weeks early!! So after this other Mama delivers, I'll have a break from births for a while. Teaching childbirth classes will keep me busy in the meantime. :)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment