Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The last week or so I've been looking at curriculum, trying to decide what things (if any) needed to be changed, what books we'll be needing soon, etc. We're still schooling during the summer and will take a few weeks off in August. I'm making a few changes, mostly for Emily. I think I've finally settled on things and can stop asking advice, reading reviews, searching for new stuff.....for a while at least. ;)

Here's a look at what we are and will be using.

Together:
Devotion - Ok...so I don't have anything fantastic picked out for this yet. Need to go to Mardel and look around.

History - TruthQuest: American History for Young Students I
We are in the middle of this. I have planned out the rest of the book and we'll be done by Christmas break. Probably in August I'll buy the next book and plan it out as well.

Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry
Right now we are doing the last unit of Christian Kids Explore Biology. This is one of the things I need to buy so I am shopping around sale/swap boards.

Latin - Latina Christiana I
Here in a few weeks we'll be done with Prima Latina. Today at Bibliomania (the homeschool used bookstore for those who have no idea what that is) I found an entire set (cassette, teacher book, and student book) for $30!

The girls are also studying the 50 states. Each week they research about two states. After Christmas break I am going to do Galloping the Globe! with them (I think...unless I find something cooler..lol)

Emily (5th Grade - for those keeping track)
Math - Rod & Staff Grade 5 + Life of Fred Fractions
We'll continue on with R&S since they introduce concepts not covered in LOF. Then we'll use the LOF book to supplement so she gets a good foundation with fractions (and next decimals). She's like me and doesn't really like math so much but in showing her the LOF website and page samples, her face lit up, she was laughing at the story and said she thought it looked fun!!!

Grammar - Abeka Language C
Never in a million years did I think I'd use Abeka. I don't really know why...I guess I never imagined us using a major, well-known curriculum. I've been going back and forth about Grammar for about a week now, trying to find something Em would benefit from. I finally settled on this today since she was interested in it after looking through a few other things at Bibliomania. This book also includes writing instruction so we'll pull that subject in here.

Vocabulary/Spelling - Wordly Wise 3000; Book 5
She's been doing this one for a while now. We'll just keep moving ahead with these until she's bored.

Abigail (3rd Grade - for those keeping track)
Math - Rod & Staff 4
She just moved up to this book a few weeks ago.

English - Rod & Staff 3
This week I put her back in Rod & Staff after using First Language Lessons (thus the reason for the switch with Em to...they were incredibly bored with FLL).

Spelling - Purposeful Design Grade 3
Half-way through this book.

Handwriting - Getty/Dubay Italic Book D

Gracie (1st Grade - but would be starting K this year if she were in public school)
Math - Rod & Staff Grade 1
She's about 80% done with this!

Phonics - Rod & Staff Grade 1
In Unit 4. There are 5 units so she's almost ready to move up in this one as well.

Handwriting - Getty/Dubay Italic Book C

Once she moves to Grade 2 Phonics I will probably start her with Spelling.


So Denise and Kahri...I know you're reading. Anything I'm missing?? I am still considering adding in Teaching the Classics. That may have to wait until the Fall or after Christmas.

1 comment:

NeeCee said...

Looks like you have it all covered. For devotionals, on the Wise Up! site, they have devotionals for elementary grades. I love the Wisdom in Proverbs and plan on using the Route 66 for the older girls the year after that. I've cruised through all the products and they all look really good. Especially their writing curriculum where you write through the bible stories. Just a thought.